Saturday, September 8, 2012

Healthy Banana Muffins


Newly engaged, my fience & I just moved in together & I'm definitely in "nesting" mode, making him breakfast smothies, packing his lunch & making dinner every night (haha the things LOVE does to a girl), so I plan on sharing some of my favorite recipes with you guys!  I'm definitely an extremely healthy eater & cooker & have been slowly converting my fince over to a health nut, too.

Before, we were putting Fiber One bars in his lunch, but I just didn't like the idea of all those preservatives & sugar.  I figured I could make a healthier version myself at home! 

After finding Keeping Up With the Joneses banana muffin recipe on Pinterest, I decided that I would tweak the recipe & amp it up a bit, adding some protein powder & other healthy additions & after several weeks of playing with the recipe I think we have a winner!  I love that there's no flower, butter, or sugar in these muffins & hope you guys like them too!



Healthy Banana Muffins

Ingredients 

-2 /1/2 cup old fashioned oats

-1 cup yogurt (I use goat yogurt)

-2 eggs
 
-1/4 cup organic agave (you can use stevia, but since these are for my fiance, I'm not too concerned with calories)

 -1 1/2 tsp baking powder

-1/2 tsp baking soda

-2 bananas

-2 tsp cinnamon (heart healthy & yummy)

-3 heaping tbsp vanilla protein powder (fills you up, adds extra a little extra protein to your diet, & also tastes super yummy in the muffins!!)

Instructions

Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit & spray your muffin pan with cooking spray.

In a blender, slowly combine ingredients together, being sure to add oats in little doses so you don't freeze your blending process.

Pour mixture into muffin pan & make for 20-25 minutes.

Tips

Store your muffins in the fridge!  They'll only keep for a few days before they get moldy in the pantry (the price you pay for preservative free food)!

You can add a wide variety of additions to these muffins, I've tried sliced almonds & want to try dried cranberries when it starts to feel a little more like fall around here.  
Get creative & ENJOY! 

xoxo Shauna




 

1 comment:

  1. Im not a very healthy "eater" but this recipe definitely appeals to me:)
    Nesting mode is a very exciting phase. Have fun:)
    check out some of my looks at BestTrendsForever.com!!

    XOXO

    Ty

    ReplyDelete