Wednesday, March 9, 2011

SF & Napa Trip

I have been SO bad about posting lately!  I'll try to catch up in the next few days on what adventures i've been up to lately!!  First, I wanted to share my favorite restaurants from my trip to Napa & Sonoma I took 2 weeks ago.  I went with my Executive Chef & wine buyer for the restaurant I do marketing for, so as you can imagine there was A LOT of eating & drinking.  Tough life, I know. 

Fist up, Napa & Somoma.  

CHATEAU MONTELLENA 


We went to an exclusive industry tasting at Chateau Montellena in Napa.  Tried some AMAZING wines, most of which cannot even be purchased because the case number is so low.  So you can fall in love with a wine, but can only have it that once!  At least we had the pleasure of tasting…  But one wine maker that I've had a love affair with for a while was in attendance & did not disappoint.  Orin Swift really makes some outstanding wines & a lot of restaurants/wine shops in the area will have some of his most popular wine.  Including Zaldo, a zin blend with granache & syrah, Prisoner, a deep rich zin not for the faint of hear, Abstract (my personal favorite), a zin with a floral nose & smooth finish.  I promise, if you try these wines you won't be disappointed.  


ORIN SWIFT WINES

If you're in the Orange County area & want to try, we have Prisoner & Abstract at Scott's Restaurant & Bar in Costa Mesa(my restaurant), I've seen them at Side Door in Corona Del Mar & I had a glass of Prisoner at A's Restaurant in Newport Beach this last Sunday.  I also picked up a bottle of Abstract at Whole Foods for about $26.  Not bad!  

VIEW FROM THE GUEST HOUSE AT ALEXANDER VALLEY


We stayed in the guest house of Alexander Valley Vineyards & had the pleasure of having the owner of the winery show us around on a private tour.  He was so friendly & nice, it made me like his wines even more.  I actaully really like their Merlot, which is surprising because I typically stear clear of that vierietal.  The characteristics are not typical, however & it's actually one of the only wines my suggnificant other & I could share a bottle of & both enjoy.  

PRIVATE TOUR OF WINE CELLARS


At night we tried a few restaurants in downtown Healdsburg, located in Sonoma.  We tried Shimo, a japanese steakhouse first & had a glass of wine & a few appetizers.  


CHEDDAR BISCUITS

CUT AT SHIMO

SCALLOP DUMPLINGS

The cheddar biscuits were amazing & the dumplings were really good also.  I don't eat meat, so I didn't try the steak, but this is what they're really known for & I've heard rave reviews about it.  

WILLE'S IN SONOMA


Next stop was Willie's, a seafood small plates restaurant that I try to go to every time i'm in Sonoma.  It's awesome.  I love the vibe, the cocktails, and the concept of the small plates & interesting ingredients.  If you're ever in Sonoma, I would say this is a place you HAVE to try.  One of my favorites was the BBQed oysters.  

BBQed OYSTERS

We did a lot more eating & drinking but these are the things from my trip I was definitely most impressed with.  

xoxo Shauna

No comments:

Post a Comment